Candy Cane Dessert Squares
This crowd-sized recipe can be served frozen or refrigerated, making it ideal for a holiday buffet.
Total Time: 25
Yield: 24 servings
- 2 cups (36 wafers) finely crushed chocolate wafer cookies
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
InstructionsCombine all crust ingredients in small bowl. Press onto bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- 1 cup real semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup LAND O LAKES® Heavy Whipping Cream
InstructionsMelt chocolate chips and 2/3 cup whipping cream in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth (4 to 5 minutes). Pour over crust. Place in freezer while making filling (at least 10 minutes).
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1-1/2 cups LAND O LAKES® Heavy Whipping Cream, whipped
- 2/3 cup coarsely crushed red or green hard peppermint candies
- 24 small candy canes, if desired
InstructionsCombine powdered sugar, cream cheese and peppermint extract in large bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth and creamy. Gently stir in whipped cream and crushed candies. Spread evenly over chocolate layer. Sprinkle with additional crushed candy, if desired. Freeze 4 hours or overnight. To serve, cut into squares. Top each square with candy cane, if desired. Serve frozen or refrigerated. Store frozen.
TIP: To crush candy, place candy in resealable plastic food bag and pound with a rolling pin or meat mallet, checking often to make sure you don't pulverize the candy.
TIP: To remove the powdery residue from the crushed candy, place crushed candy in a mesh strainer; shake back-and-forth until most of residue is removed.