Brown Onion Rice Casserole
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom pieces with liquid (or 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can (11 ounces) beef consomme plus 1/2 can water
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- 3 to 4 drops Tabasco
InstructionsTo prepare in the microwave, place all the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 20 minutes. Stir and cook for 15 minutes more, or until the rice is done and all the liquid is absorbed.
To prepare on the stovetop, if you're using fresh mushrooms, sauté in the butter for 5 minutes. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and cover. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until all the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.