BEEF STRIPS ORIENTAL
Similar to Chinese pepper steak, but does not need a pressure cooker.
- 2 pounds round steak, 3/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or butter
- 2 cups water (or canned mushroom liquid)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced, or 2 8-ounce cans, drained (see above)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, sliced
- green pepper strips
Cut meat into strips 1/4-inch wide and 3-inch-4-inch long. In large heavy saucepan, brown meat on all sides in oil or butter and drain. Add water, soy sauce, and garlic. Cover and simmer 45 minutes over low heat. Add celery and mushrooms, replace cover, and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes longer. Combine cornstarch and cold water, stirring until well blended. Gradually add this to meat mixture, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in water chestnuts. Top with pepper strips. Serve over hot rice.