This substantial pie is delicious served hot or cold. You can also make it with mashed black beans and smoked cheddar cheese.
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cornmeal
InstructionsPreheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Pour the boiling water over the cornmeal to moisten it thoroughly. When cool, press the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan to form a crust about 1/4 inch thick. Build up the crust to prevent the filling from cooking over. Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is dry and cracked and lightly browned.
- 3 cups soft-cooked pinto beans, mashed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups tomato salsa, canned or homemade
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated