Avocado Pâté with Chilled Lobster
This delightful pâté may be made in a regular loaf pan, but for a more elegant presentation, chill the mixture In an 11×4-inch galantine mold, which produces a slim, straight-sided pâté.
Yield: Serves 10
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 large avocados, peeled, seeded, and mashed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Cognac
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Several drops of Tabasco sauce
- 1 pound lobster meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Instructions1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Generously butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan or a galantine mold. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl and allow it to soften. Heat the chicken broth in a small saucepan. Add the gelatin mixture and the shallot. Stir over medium heat until the gelatin dissolves.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the avocados, cream and egg yolks. Add the Cognac, salt, Tabasco, and the gelatin mixture and blend well. Pour into the prepared mold and set inside a shallow roasting pan. Add hot water to a depth of 1 inch and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or untIl a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
3. Cool on a rack for 30 minutes, then refrigerate. When thoroughly chilled, unmold onto a serving plate. Toss the lobster with the lemon juice and spoon it around the pâté. Cut the pâté into slices and serve with a portion of the lobster meat.