Apple-Walnut Celebration Cake with Cream-Cheese Frosting
Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large, tart apples, peeled and grated
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Cream-Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
InstructionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-cup Bundt pan or tube pan, using melted butter and a brush. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add yogurt and nutmeg and beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients with a fork and add to yogurt mixture, combining thoroughly but not beating. Stir in apples and nuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake 50 minutes, or until done. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and unmold. Dust with confectioners' sugar or frost with Cream-Cheese Frosting.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) softened butter
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
InstructionsCombine cream cheese and butter, and beat until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar, beating at low speed until well blended.
*Frosts 1 Bundt or tube-pan cake.