Almond Mandel Bread
These sliced nut cookies are sometimes called “Jewish biscotti.”
Total Time: 35
Yield: 50 to 60 slices
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chopped blanched almonds
- Cinnamon sugar (3 tablespoons sugar combined with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon)
InstructionsPreheat oven to 375°. Mix butter at medium speed until smooth. Slowly add sugar; continue mixing until light and creamy. Add eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, flour, salt, baking powder, and almonds; mix well.
Pour out dough onto a floured countertop. Form into three 1-inch-high loaves; transfer onto parchment-lined sheets. Dust with cinnamon sugar and bake about 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Turn oven down to 350°. When cool, cut loaves into 1-inch slices. Lay slices on their sides and toast lightly, 5-10 minutes.